Because I sort of promised that I’d do this. Thanks to shoeythoughts for stalking YouTube? XDD
^Hello from Studio Park (Studio Park kara Konnichiwa), in which Mizuki Nana and Funky Monkey Babys are interviewed for the appearance on Kouhaku this year.
The letter from her mother at the end made me cry. ;_;
– started off with introducing Kouhaku being the dream of Nana-san’s entire family
– first photo is of her 8 to 9 singing Sakamoto Fuyumi’s Abare Daiko
– Sakamoto Fuyumi happened to sitting in Nana-san’s seat the day before (hence Nana-san touching the armrest XD)
– the reason Nana-san is all dressed up is because her parents took Nodo Jiman (the singing contest) quite seriously
– for the same reason, Kouhaku every year is a must-watch
– every year end, while sitting with her family to watch Kouhaku, they’d say “That was an amazing performance, it’d be great if you showed up on that stage one day.”
– so aiming to become an enka singer, Nana-san went to Tokyo at 15 (picture of her 15 year old! XD)
– being 15 year old, a high school student, she was the only one among her classmates who “went to school everyday and is the only one among her friends who is not busy (friends all have jobs (e.g. drama).”
– Thus is always taking notes for her friends
– Teachers have taken her aside and asked when she is going to make her debut
– Began studying to become a seiyuu through summer school when she was 15
– but “never gave up the dream to become an enka singer”
– Thus started talking about Shinjuku Koma Gekijou “Shachou Kouen”
– After that, the hosts asked her “How did you feel when you received the news that you would be performing on Kouhaku?” (answer: I’m sure we’ve all seen the video shown on Music Japan so I don’t need to translate what she said, right? XD).
– Then she was asked “Kouhaku is in a few weeks, how do you think you will be feeling?” Nana-san’s answer was:
‘I’m sure I will be very nervous, but I will sing with my heart as I always do, and deliver to everyone ‘the power of songs.’”
– Then, as the interview nears an end… “We have a letter from your mother”
– Reaction: “Ah! What? I didn’t know about this!” (her actions were so cute XDD)
Translation of the letter below:
With regards to the Kouhaku Uta Gassen, congratulations! For you to be able to appear on the 60th anniversary of Kouhaku, it is indeed a very glorious and happy thing.
Since you were young, you were entrusted with the dream to become a singer. Perhaps it had been a heavy burden for you, but you have done very well to endure and come this far. As a singer, isn’t it great that your dream stage will become a reality?
I do not doubt that your father, whom passed away last year, is the one who is most happy right now.
To everyone who has supported Mizuki Nana all this time, and everyone else who is involved, I wish to express my gratitude.
Everyone in your home region (Ehime) are all very happy for you and will be supporting you. I know you will be busy, but please do take care of yourself and continue to work hard.
After the letter, the hosts asked Nana-san a few questions.
Host: When it got really tough for you, it was your family who supported and helped you get through it, right?
Nana: Yes, my mother and father had always been my main support. I am extremely happy for that. Especially my father whom was the one who worked together with me to make my dream come true. He had been the one who walked down this path with me. That’s why I will carry the feelings of my entire family and stand tall at the Kouhaku stage.
I started tearing up when the letter mentioned Nana-san’s dad being the most happy for her. I think it’s more because that was the point where Nana-san couldn’t hold it in any longer and started crying. And then how she said her father “worked together with me to make my dream come true” and “He had been the one to walk down this path with me.” Very very touching… *sniffs*